Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Christian's Journal (3)

We set out for the orc stronghold as soon as dawn broke, travelling light and without our horses, lest any of the orc patrols hear us and give warning to their chieftains. The villagers provided for us their sturdy bows and arrows, though Thorin has favoured his throwing axes and Nakai has renounced use of such weapons. I prefer my sword, but the arrows might prove useful. The council, together with the Queen Mother, saw us off and wished us success for our mission, although that Tianna girl was staring daggers at me and fingering the hilt of her Karadush katana as if I were an orc! She did not seem particularly pleased to be left out of the expedition.

We met with no hostile creatures throughout our journey as we forgoed the beaten path and travelled through the light underbrush, occasionally avoiding an orc patrol. I am thankful we have not yet have had to resort to the use of force, for a prolific number of orc corpses might alert the orcs to our presence. The element of surprise remains our greatest advantage.

I fear I cannot write much more, for the already dim fire we have about our camp may attract the keen eyes of the orcs. It would be best to put it out and take refuge in the darkness. I cannot tarry, I have first watch.

May Helm watch over us all.

Christian Aisling

No comments: