Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Christian's Journal (1) : Our Arrival

Thorin and I have finally arrived at the tribal village outside the borders of Athkatla, after receiving reports of an orc stronghold that continues to grow in strength and number. The orcs have been disrupting several trade wagons into Athkatla and threatens to overrun the village with its incessant raids.

The high priest of Athkatla has deigned that I put an end to this evil, claiming that a triumph over the orcs shall bolster my claim to be accepted in the Most Noble Order of the Radiant Heart. I accepted the assignment readily, eager to be counted among the ranks of such noble paladins as Sir Keldorn, as well as curious to observe the ways of the heathen tribes. Perhaps Helm shall use me as a vessel to lead these heretics into the worship of the ever-vigilant Watcher.

I asked to speak with their leader, the Queen Mother, as the patrol we encountered informed us, and we were brought to the village quickly. However, a wedding was underway, and I could not be granted an audience with the Queen Mother immediately as she did not want to disrupt the festivities. I reluctantly agreed to attend the celebrations, as it would be my only chance to speak with the Queen Mother then. The wedding was indeed an eye-opener for such as I, though Thorin readily threw himself into the thick of the celebrations, imbibing amounts of ale that would have quickly sent me spiralling into a drunken stupor. The hardiness of a dwarf still astounds me, though their love of the drink would do well to be curbed.

Yet, I wonder at times whether I have been too harsh on the headstrong dwarf. He has picked up the martial skills quickly, though imparting the teachings of Helm to him have been trying, not to mention impossible. I am glad, however, with the progress Thorin has made with the blind bloodrage he is afflicted with when he is provoked. I remember the time when he flew into his raw, primal rage and slew those false priests that dared to blaspheme the word of Helm in my presence. I took in the young dwarf then, seeking to hone the true potential of his berserk bloodlust as a force against evil, as a furious weapon of righteous anger, for I know the good that lies in this warrior's heart.

As the furore of the night's festivities died down, I managed to speak with the Queen Mother regarding the orc stronghold that lies in the north. She behaves strangely, as if intimidated by me, but for what reasons I am unsure. These heathens have strange ways I am still oblivious to. The Queen Mother, however, has agreed to our help for she has shared with me that their force of numbers have been dwindling, and many wives are now without husbands, and many children have been left as orphans.

We have a meeting tomorrow to discuss the plans of our attack; I must retire soon for the coming days bring blood.

For the Glory of Helm,
Christian Aisling

No comments: